WHAT IS IT?
Apple releases Beta version of its new operating system.
Bells and whistles
- Messages: You’ll get a more streamlined search experience, improved audio messaging features, and a new arrow that lets you jump to the oldest unread message in a thread. Group chats, rejoice!
- Standby: While your phone is charging and turned on its side, it will display full-screen widgets. Use your phone as an alarm clock, display the weather forecast or scroll through your photos.
- Apple Maps: When you don't have a cell signal, you can now download offline maps and still get to your destination.
- FaceTime: You can now leave voicemails in FaceTime. They'll show up directly in your call history list.
- AirDrop: Goodbye, business cards. Initiate an AirDrop by selecting content or your contact info, then put the top of your phone on top of someone else’s phone for an instant transfer.
- Passwords: Easily (and securely) share passwords or passkeys with other people.
- Check In: Automatically notify friends and family when you arrive safely at a destination. (For the person that always forgets to text.)
Some of the new features are cute but a little gimmicky. Stickers allow you to create live images and emojis. Apple also claims autocorrect is now more accurate. I'll believe it when I see it.