The NMTC Members Meeting this month hosted one of APG’s best and brightest engineering directors; Ms Jill Smith, Director, CERDEC ( Communications, Electronics Research Center), to share where this cornerstone of the Army warfighter’s electonic ‘eyes and ears’ is heading. A downloadable link to her presentation is listed below.
Ms Smith flanked (on the left) by Jeff Hinte, NMTC Board Advisor
and Tom Bachman, NMTC Member .
Take aways from the meeting were:
- The Army cannot sustain the ‘box in the truck’ concept for each function; driven by warfighter requests in time of active war.
- Sustainability and SWaP (Size,Weight and Power) are drivers for future products
- Common Operating Environment (COE) is the focus going forward, and this will trickle down and affect the acquistion process.
- Defense Contractors should think more like Apple (or Android supported companies), to succeed in this anticipated COE
- Educators should structure, encourage multi-disiplinary degrees
Download Ms Smith’s presentation here:
PDF Version – CERDEC-NMTC-final.pdf