The NMTC champions STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) throughout the region and at all levels; grades K-12 plus the first year of college. Our resolve is to help the community build a technically competent workforce, ready to compete in the challenging tomorrows of our global economy.
NMTC accomplishments include financially supporting teachers so they may learn new skills to remain current in their field, coordinating science workshops for talented students to accelerate their learning and providing pathways where NMTC members may mentor senior science students at the Science & Math Academy and other regional schools.
A major part of our mission (through our STEM Summits) is the nurturing of partnerships between businesses and the region’s schools, bringing new ideas to educators and classrooms, as well as encouraging and fostering communication between education and business.
Behind the scenes, the NMTC board strives to make STEM education a priority through its STEM Education sub-committee where we actively seek out others to enlist their support.
Strategic areas of additional focus for the NMTC are:
- Honor regional, key contributors at our annual Visionary Awards Gala (.https://nmtc.org/events/visionary/)
- Organize, facilitate and fund STEM Night & Beyond activities at regional middle schools each year, attracting 1,000’s of students.
- Plan, coordinate and partner with APG to host STEM Summits, galvanizing community leadership to solve the challenges in building our STEM educated workforce.
- Plan, coordinate and facilitate over 20 Science Cafes during the school year in Cecil, Harford and Baltimore Counties, in conjunction with each county’s library and school system.
- Support and advise the University Center in creating a long-term strategies and plans for meaningful expansion.
- Fund library LEAP (and Little Leaper) Kits (Learn, Explore & Play) that teach STEM subjects at home and in STEM Clubs
- Help coordinate internships between member companies, APG and area colleges.
- Coordinate learning opportunities for talented teachers in member organizations.
- Encourage and facilitate donation or lending of science equipment.
- Sponsors science and math teachers at educational events.
- Sponsorship of students summer science camps.
- Offer student membership in NMTC at no cost.
- Participate in education symposiums in and around the state.
- Partner with Maryland Business Roundtable’s, Maryland Scholars program.
- Help organize middle-school student science seminars at our local community colleges.
- Endow yearly scholarships for STEM oriented High School students, at both our region’s community colleges.
- Support Science & Math Academy (Harford County) senior capstone
project. See mentor requirements, SMA Mentor Brochure